KATY PERRY WINS COURT BATTLE FOR FORMER LOS FELIZ CONVENT
Katy Perry wins court battle for former Los Feliz convent. Katy has scored a major legal victory in her fight against an order of nuns and entrepreneur Dana Hollister to buy a former hilltop convent in Los Feliz.
The sale of the Roman villa-style convent has battled in court for months but the Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Bowick cleared the way on Wednesday for Perry to buy the estate from the Los Angeles’ Catholic archbishop.
Katy Perry has scored a major legal victory in her fight against an order of nuns and entrepreneur Dana Hollister to buy a former hilltop convent in Los Feliz.
The order of nuns that has owned the property for more than 40 years, hastily sold it to Hollister in 2015, bypassing approval from Archbishop Jose H. Gomez.
“We have control of our property, it’s ours. The archdiocese is not taking care of us, we’ve been taking care of ourselves,” Sister Catherine Rose told Eyewitness News last year.
The archdiocese and nuns agreed the property, which was bestowed to the sisters by a devout Catholic who wanted them to keep him in their prayers, should be sold. Perry and Hollister were fighting over whether who wanted to use the convent for a hotel and restaurant project, were suitable buyers.
The “Mannequin” singer had agreed to pay $14.5 million for the convent and to relocate an adjoining house of prayer used by priests. Hollister had agreed to pay the sisters about $10 million.
On Wednesday, Bowick ruled that the sisters’ attempts to sell the property to Hollister were improper. Bowick had ruled that Gomez has to first authorize any sale, and the nuns did not receive his permission before entering into an agreement with Hollister.
“Subject to our receiving the written order, we are very pleased with the Judge’s description of her ruling this morning, which indicates that we won the real property issues, clearing the way for our client to buy the property at issue,” Perry’s attorney, Eric Rowen, said in a statement released to Eyewitness News Wednesday morning.
The archdiocese released the following statement following the ruling “The care and well-being of all five sisters has always been our primary concern. The Archdiocese was forced to take legal action to protect all the five sisters from being taken advantage of by the Dana Hollister transaction in which Hollister improperly took possession of their property for only $44,000 in cash and a contingent promissory note.”
Perry’s bid still has to be approved by the Vatican. Click here for full video of the story.