07 Aug Dinner Is Served: Strawberry ShortCake
This week on Dinner Is Served we will actually be making some Strawberry Shortcake! I have the biggest sweet tooth of any person I have ever met and I’ve always wondered why that is. I have actually found an article recently that helps explain some of the reasons why we crave sugar. Regardless, I was excited to make this. It looks like it’s going to be delicious and I won’t regret anything if I get cavities. I know these are usually meant for meals but everyone needs something sweet in their life every now and then.
So let’s get started!
- 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flower
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
Ingredients For Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons of freshly grated lemon zest
- Mix the strawberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar and refrigerate while the juices develop for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, the remaining two tablespoons of sugar, and the salt in a medium bowl. Transfer the mix into an 8-inch square pan (not greased) for about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the shortcake from the pan and place it on a rack to cool. Cut it into 6 pieces and split each piece in half, horizontally.
- Spoon some of the strawberries onto each shortcake bottom. Top it with a dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon some more strawberries over the top.
Steps For Whipped Cream:
- Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form for about 1-2 minutes.
This is going to be such a delicious treat! Check out our most recent Dinner Is Served where we show how to make some linguine!