The Sex Education You Didn’t Get In School | Scoop Sorority

Not all schools teach you the proper information you’ll need to know or prepare for when it comes to sex education. Perhaps you were taught about sex in schools, how to practice safe sex, or how to avoid it. However, there are still some things you may not know or understand because sex ed in school ignored it.

Here’s a few things school may have forgotten to inform you about.

STIs or STDs

One of the most important things you’re taught in school, is practicing safe sex and the use of condoms. 

If you were informed that condoms are 98 percent effective in preventing sexually transmitted diseases, you may wonder about the other 2 percent. While condoms can protect you from STIs and contracting HIV or AIDS, it isn’t always a reliable remedy. 

According to Dr. Yamaguchi in Seventeen Magazine, condoms aren’t effective in preventing all forms of sexually transmitted infections. In fact, even with a condom, you can still transmit in areas that are “not covered by the condom.” However, it is still better to practice safe sex and use condoms. 

What is not usually taught in schools is that any sexually active individual can contract an STI or STD; there should not be any shame or stigma around it. If you are sexually active, get tested for STIs regularly, and don’t be ashamed if you test positive. 

Any positive results should be shared with previous partners, so that they are not spread further. 


Masturbation, as awkward as it may be to discuss it aloud, is important to talk about in sex education. Usually, it’s claimed that masturbation is “healthy” and it’s normal for people to do it.

In fact, masturbation is considered a “safer alternative” to sexual intercourse with another person, and it’s an easier way to prevent STIs or STDs respectively. There are good and bad elements about it. 

What schools may not have taught you in your sex education classes is that masturbation could likely lead to mental side effects. Some people feel guilt before or after masturbating because of the negative way that sex is often portrayed. However, masturbation and the exploration of one’s own body and nothing to be ashamed of. 

Sex and Gender Identity

In high school, many aren’t taught about the difference between sex and gender. There are many people who may identify as a gender that’s different than what they were assigned at birth. 

There are also numerous labels that come along with it. Others, for instance, identify as “non-binary” and use their pronouns “them” or “they” instead of “he,” “him,” “she,” or “her.” 

Knowing the difference and how to approach it in everyday life could give people insight on how to respect others’ identities and accept them for who they are! You can do this by always sharing your pronouns with people that you meet so that they feel comfortable sharing theirs with you. Your pronouns can also easily be added to social media bios. 

Inclusivity in Sex Ed

If a school does provide sex education, it is more likely focused on heterosexuality. If a student is not interested in the opposite sex, it is not helpful to only learn about heterosexual sex. 

Inclusivity in sex education is crucial because the number of people who identify with the LGBTQIA+ community is increasing by the day, and it’s important to ensure that they also know how to practice safe sex.

Consent and Sexual Violence

Consent is a very important topic that should be understood in sex education. As an individual, you have the right to choose if you’re okay with being sexually active with someone or not. However, as sexual violence continues to occur day-by-day, teaching students about consent and even the negative impacts of sexual assault is worth the discussion. Enthusiastic consent and a clear “yes” necessary before sexual encounters. 

The Risks of Sexting

While sexting may provide pleasure for some, it can have dangers and consequences. Teaching students about the detriments of “sexy-texting” can prevent many complications, especially among teenagers.

Unless you’re 18 or older, sending an intimate photo of yourself to someone can actually be a criminal offense. In addition, sharing intimate photos of others can be a criminal offense.

If you are a minor, sexting is especially important to avoid with adults who may be groomers. 

What do you wish you had learned during high school sex education? Drop a comment below and let us know!

Be sure to check out our latest article on Asian Musicians to Support Amid Anti-Asian Discrimination!

No Comments

Post A Comment